During pandemics such as the 2009 H1N1 flu outbreak, school dismissals have proven to be helpful in limiting exposure to viruses and preventing the spread of infection. Consider the following ways to prepare for an emergency situation like a school closure:
- Evaluate alternatives for childcare during the period the school is closed.
- Discuss your school's action plan for dismissal with your child's teacher or designated administrator. Read all school handouts carefully and follow directions.
- Talk to your child about emergency situations and your school's plan to prepare him or her with the knowledge of what will happen if the school must close for a period of time.
- Set a good example for your child by talking about and practicing good hygiene in the home. For example, remind family members to wash their hands before preparing or eating food.
- Locate resources to keep your child engaged in learning or help with homework.
Seasonal and Novel H1N1 Flu: A Guide for Parents (CDC) (PDF)
"Take 3" Steps to Fight the Flu (CDC) (PDF)