Students in the 21st century come to our classrooms with a myriad of background knowledge and experiences. As educators, how can we best meet the needs of ALL our students, ensuring they are receiving a high quality education to prepare them for future success? Our students deserve a differentiated approach that utilizes research-based strategies. During this two day academy, educators will learn to plan instruction using an RTI approach. Participants will determine essential standards at their grade level, learn effective strategies to teach the essential standards, understand the importance of monitoring student progress to ensure student learning, and adjust student instruction based on formative assessments. They will have the opportunity to develop a model lessons for Tier 1 and Tier 2. Meaningful integration of Discovery Education media will be emphasized as a way to enhance literacy instruction.
- Reading Specialists
- Instructional Coaches
- Lab setting with one computer for each participant
- Internet access
- Presentation station with computer for presenter
- Chart tablets, markers, and easels
- Appropriate teachers’ guides to facilitate planning
- Copies of State Standards for the represented curricular areas
- OPTIONAL: Microphones
Recommended Companion Courses
By the completion of this session participants will be able to:
- Define RTI and understand the 3 Tier System in relation to the students in their classroom.
- Determine essential standards: What is crucial to teach?
- Utilize the RTI approach to develop lessons using the state standards at Tier 1 and Tier 2.
- Design lessons that incorporate Robert Marzano’s effective teaching strategies and Discovery Education media in order to enhance and differentiate instruction for students at all levels.
- Understand the importance of progress monitoring in order to provide targeted interventions and facilitate fluid grouping.
- Share model lessons in a collaborative effort during RTI Lesson Showcase.
- Introduction to RTI and its relationship to differentiated instruction
- How does the RTI pyramid relate to your students?
- Teacher Reflection: What makes a successful lesson and how do you determine it was a success?
- Hands On: Digging into the standards…What is MOST IMPORTANT?
- Review of select Discovery Education streaming resources and search engines (curriculum standards search and subject area drill down)
- Hands On: Teacher exploration and collection of resources based on essential standards
- Group sharing
- Debrief and evaluation
- Introduction to multi-tiered instruction and interventions
- Research validated interventions to meet individual learner needs
- Teacher Reflection: How do you monitor student progress for students with the most intensive needs?
- Model lessons
- Review of select Discovery Education streaming resources and search engines (Key Word Search)
- Hands On: Cognitive planning for differentiated lessons
- RTI lesson showcase and group sharing
- Debrief and evaluation