DEN Virtual Conferences are a unique form of free professional
development events that combine the best of both online and in-person
learning. Attendees have the option of participating individually from
home, or face to face at one of dozens of events hosted by STAR
Discovery Educators around the world.
DEN Summer Institute (DENSI)
The Discovery Educator Network Summer Institute is a week-long residential style professional development opportunity for STAR Discovery Educators focused on professional development and networking.
DENapalooza is a series of Professional Development events that share the power of making connections through the Discovery Educator Network. Each of the ten stops on the North American tour is a full day event featuring formal presentations on topics like Digital Storytelling, Project-Based Learning, and Building Your PLN with the DEN in the morning. The afternoon is spent unconference style, with attendees choosing the topics and leading the conversations.
DEN Geocaching Day
Each spring, we encourage STAR Discovery Educators to embark on a virtual treasure hunt on DEN Geocaching Day. Explore the great outdoors while learning how GPS activities can be used to connect your students with others around the world.
At this annual event, we recognize STAR Discovery Educators who have gone above and beyond for the community during the school year. With categories like Best DEN Event, The RJ Stangherlin (for excellence in blogging), and Rising STAR (for new STARs), we recognize greatness within the community.
DEN Spring Training is a time to keep your STAR status in shape! STARs run down a list of activities and earn points that can be traded in for some spectacular prizes.
DEN March Madness is a fun way for Discovery Educator Network members to share their favorite tools, websites, and apps to use with Discovery Education content. STARs can submit their favorites and the top 16, as selected by the community, will square off until only one is left standing and crowned champion.
BulleDEN Board Project
Each fall, we go on the lookout for the best BulleDEN boards around. These aren't your average bulletin boards – they're physical and digital displays sharing the DEN and Discovery Education with the school.
Teacher Appreciation Week
At Discovery Education, we know how hard teachers work to make a difference in their students' lives. This is why we make sure that your Teacher Appreciation Week is as epic as you deserve it to be.
DEN Weekly Update
The DEN Weekly Update provides a comprehensive look at all of the things going on in the DEN. All STAR Discovery Educators receive the DEN Weekly Update in their inboxes each Friday. It is also posted to the DEN Blogs for easy reference by the entire DEN Community.
- Dec 12 Evaluating Student Knowledge: Formative Assessments with Discovery Education SCIENCE TECHBOOK
- Dec 16 Changing the World, Step by Step
- Dec 16 Let's Get APPY! Tablet Apps That Work Best With the Discovery Education Techbook
- Dec 18 Creating Interactive Lessons with the Teacher Board Builder and Discovery Education Techbook
- Jan 08 Submission Overview for the Siemens We Can Change the World Challenge
- Jan 08 What's the 4-1-1: TBD
- Jan 14 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- Jan 15 Changing the World, Step by Step
- Feb 05 What's the 4-1-1: Digital Learning Day
- Feb 12 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- Feb 19 Submission Overview for the Siemens We Can Change the World Challenge
- Mar 05 What's the 4-1-1: TBD
- Mar 20 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- Apr 02 What's the 4-1-1: TBD
- Apr 15 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- May 07 What's the 4-1-1: DEN's Got Talent
- May 14 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- Jun 04 What's the 4-1-1: Summer Lovin
- Jun 19 Administrator Tips and Tricks
Reaching the 21st century students require a higher level of technology in the teaching profession, this happens for me when I can attend the most outstanding professional growth in the nation offered through Discovery Education. Networking with teachers from all over the nation, multiple daily collaboration projects created presentations of Web 2.0 from Steve Dembo and a social tour of San Francisco with other star educators. Discovery Institutes not only prepare educators to teach but provides a powerful network base of friendships and memories for years to come.
St. Bonaventure School, Diocese of Orange County Huntington Beach, CA