What is DEN Digital Learning Day?
Digital Learning Day, organized by the Alliance for Excellent Education, is an annual celebration of innovative teachers and common-sense, effective applications of digital learning in schools that support teachers, improve learning, and provide options for students to achieve at their highest potential.
DEN Digital Learning Day aims to take this idea further and highlight the wonderful things DEN Community members are doing in classrooms across the North America.
A Day in the Life of a Discovery Educator
For members of the Discovery Educator Network, digital learning is not just a day, but a way of life. Below, take a look at "A Day in the Life of the DEN: The Movie." This short film will feature numerous DEN members and their daily routines involving the Discovery Educator Network.
From early morning until late at night, members of the Discovery Educator Network engage in a variety of activities and learning utilizing the power of technology. As part of Digital Learning Day 2014 this video showcases a sampling of 20 of these 1,000,000 educators in their day to day work. We're proud of these teachers and the difference they make for learners.
Leading up to DEN Digital Learning Day
Prior to February 5th, there are several things you can do to showcase how you are using Discovery Education resources with your students and in your classroom. Below are four suggestions, but feel free to send us something else that you feel exhibits digital learning.
- Short video clips of students learning digitally with Discovery Education resources (15-30 seconds)
- Artifacts from an S.O.S. lesson (photos videos, reflections)
- A story or artifact from DEN Connects
- A Board created with Discovery Education Board Builder showing digital learning
On DEN Digital Learning Day
Follow the DEN on Twitter and Facebook to participate in various challenges throughout the day. Randomly selected entries may even win a DEN prize pack. Some challenges might include:
- Sharing a quick photo of digital learning in your classroom
- Posting a favorite Discovery Education resource and how you use it in your classroom
Beyond DEN Digital Learning Day
Keep an eye on the DEN blogs and social channels as we share out the submissions from the community.
- Mar 12 Leadership@Now: Preparing Your Staff and Students for the Common Core
- Mar 13 Making Stuff with Discovery Education: iPiccy
- Mar 19 3M Young Scientist Challenge: Student Webinar & Video Tips
- Mar 20 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- Mar 20 Social Studies Techbook: US History Civil War to Present, Beta Program Review
- Mar 26 Winnipeg Jets True North Hockey Academy Livestream
- Mar 29 DENapalooza - Washington, DC
- Apr 01 3M Young Scientist Challenge: Student Webinar & Video Tips
- Apr 02 What's the 4-1-1: Spring Back to Basics: Cool (and quick) ways to integrate technology with DE
- Apr 05 DENapalooza - Milwaukee, WI
- Apr 09 Leadership@Now: Telling Your District Story
- Apr 10 Making Stuff with Discovery Education: Blabberize
- Apr 12 DENapalooza - Ottawa, ON
- Apr 15 Administrator Tips and Tricks
- Apr 26 Spring VirtCon
- May 03 DENapalooza - Edmonton, AB
- May 07 What's the 4-1-1: DEN's Got Talent
- May 08 Making Stuff with Discovery Education: Quicktime
- May 14 Administrator Tips and Tricks
I love the DEN because of all the opportunities it gives me to connect with other educators that are passionate about learning, students, and technology. I also love the DEN because it supports teachers in their endeavor to try new technology in the classroom. Most of all I love the DEN for giving teachers opportunity to share how technology makes teaching more fun, engaging and meaningful to students.