Math Techbook Enhancements
Since the launch of Math Techbook we have listened to what you enjoy and what you find challenging about using Math Techbook in your classrooms. Based on your feedback, the following enhancements will be added to Math Techbook in winter 2016. These updates expand your ability to analyze student needs and assign differentiated resources.
Updates to Math Assessment Builder
Improved Practice Dashboard Capabilities
The practice dashboard functionality was released on January 20th.
- Teachers can now create either a practice assessment (via a keyword) or a new standards-based assessment (via selected standards).
- A label has been added to distinguish between practice and standards-based assessments.
- Results for standards-based assessments can be viewed by question or standard providing additional analysis opportunities.
- Introduced a new “Filter by Objective” to enable teachers to analyze student performance at the objective level. These objectives come directly from the model lesson for each concept. Once an objective is selected, you can see the Coach or Play questions aligned to that objective.
- Additional resources, aligned to lesson objectives, are available from the dashboard to enhance differentiation opportunities. Teachers can assign these targeted resources directly to students from the dashboard.
NBA and WNBA Partnership
Discovery Education and the NBA and WNBA have teamed up to deepen middle and high school students’ engagement in math – combining the passion for professional basketball with key math concepts. Math Techbook now includes interactive math problems based on NBA basketball scenarios. Two sets of resources are available:
NBA Data Tool
- 16 NBA-based Apply problems available throughout Math Techbook with additional problems to be added over time.
- Problems address a wide range of math concepts including, variables, equations, and weighted averages.
- An NBA data tool provides up-to-date access to NBA and WNBA player data, including historical data going back to 2013. Statistics include points, steals, assists, blocks, rebounds, wins, losses, and more.
- Students can enter their own formulas and see the data presented in a variety of different ways, including histograms, scatter plots, and box plots.
These changes are the first of a number of enhancements that we will be releasing to Math Techbook this year. Please contact us
if you have any questions or would like to discuss in more detail.
Access the Math Assessment Builder by clicking "Builder Tools" in the top navigation bar of Math Techbook.
Access the Teacher Learning Dashboard by clicking "My Dashboard" in the top right corner of any Course Overview page.
To see a selection of these problems visit our Professional Learning Center. Please note, the specific problems you are able to access depends on the version(s) of Math Techbook you are licensed to receive.
Click on Math Tools in the top right corner of Math Techbook to access these data tools.
Explore Tab Enhancements
We are building upon the updates started in the summer by making further updates to the Explore tab. These updates will provide more rigorous resources for students driving deeper student engagement. Please note, the Explore enhancements are currently only available for grades 3-8. We will be making similar updates to K-2 and 9-12 for back to school 2017.
- More rigorous content with a new English Reading Level A
- New and/or updated videos, reading passages, hands-on labs, and explorations
- New formative assessments incorporating opportunities for mathematical reasoning
- Teacher notes available at point-of-use
New Resources - Blood and Fury: America's Civil War
In this new series from American Heroes Channel, students are transported back in time to the Civil War. Blood and Fury: America's Civil War chronicles the definitive story of one of the most extraordinary chapters in American history through looking at six major battles in more detail. Please note, this series contains content that may not be appropriate for all viewers. Please preview before sharing in class.
- Bull Run
To support your teaching of these key battles we have also created some virtual reality experiences for your students to find out more about the Civil War in an engaging and immersive experience. Explore Now
Videos will be released to Social Studies Techbook throughout winter