Embracing the Future, Today, with Digital Textbooks
Collier County Public Schools in Florida serves approximately 44,000 students. In an era of having to do “more with less,” while maintaining the level of excellence that Collier's parents have come to expect, the leadership within the district decided to make calculated steps towards the future by reinventing their science curriculum.
The district identified three goals that they believed would help improve instruction within their classrooms and ultimately lead to improved student outcomes:
- Support 21st-Century teaching and learning
- Instruction through the inquiry method and project-based learning
- Promotion of higher-order thinking and increased student performance
The district worked with Discovery Education to implement a digital textbook for their science curriculum that included:
Results — Improved FCAT Scores and Excited, Engaged Students
Initial indications are that students, teachers, and administrators are excited by how students are embracing inquiry and project-based learning. They are proud that they are one of first districts in the country to successfully shift to delivering their science instruction through a fully digital program.
Study Finds Link Between Discovery Education Science Techbook Series and Improved Student Achievement
Key Findings of Research:
- 4 point increase in average FCAT score at the 5th grade in classrooms with experienced teachers
- 17 point increase in average FCAT score at the 8th grade in classrooms with experienced teachers
- ELL students 66% more likely to score at a proficient or higher level on FCAT